Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Typo3: Project 2, COVER and (1st iteration) layouts












This image is the entire trim of the cover (front, back, spine, insets). I chose the image of the mannequin because I believe Stein is speaking to the viewer in terms of misdirection (nothing is as it seems), fabrication (we can make anything in the world that we want), and possibly with a spice of feminism (she speaks at lengths about food and objects and other things relating to the home and the life of a woman).




The second image here is how the cover itself will look when it is all folded up. I may still need to tweak the type a bit. 






















This is the "full title" spread of the inside of my book, pages 0 and 1.


Gertrude Stein is on the same base line as all the rest of my called out text. 
























This obviously is the CONTENTS page. Page 2 and 3. I'm just trying to go with really clean and classical layouts. The semi-bold italic type is a factor that plays through the entirety of my spreads. 












Sugar and Dirt Not Copper spread. The idea of calling out text was a main deciding factor for me throughout the creations of these layouts. The titles of the pieces are in the same side line in the margins with the page number and title of the collective works. I left wide margins around the  main text to further along the idea of classical text. 






















PS- I DID replace Malachite with A Shawl and A White Hunter with Book. The two I replaced were too short to successfully portray the gaps in thought that I wanted to show. The two new poems are longer and were more successfully interpretable. 

2 comments:

tammyshell said...

what a sophisticated style; i would buy this book.

AGallagher said...

Thanks Tammy :D