Thursday, December 3, 2009

NA: Show Opener, Final


I used moving video because I have never really done so for any particular purpose. This allowed me to capture real textures and forms of the printing world but also gave me a more engaging opener than something such as photos would have. This was pretty difficult for me since I was not used to editing moving footage. This helped me grow as a designer by introducing me to a new media.

I don't know if this was a success or a failure. It's pretty interesting to look at, but I don't think it ended up being something that I wanted it to be.

I enjoyed the ability to choose what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it. I don't know what I would have done differently if I had to change things. I'd definitely start over if I had the same amount of time, if for no other purpose than to simply see what else I could have come up with.

Less text would have been nice. I know it's already minimalist but less would still have been better or else I just needed to rework it.


Show opener from Abby Gallagher on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the music and the imagery that comes with yours. Its like a kaleidoscope of colors and images and fits with tons of prints. I accidentally hit the forward button and it put it fast which was also interesting and entertaining. I love the mixture of the rolling of the wet ink, more dry ink, and prints. I think its really interesting how they reflect each other too. It makes it more interesting without distracting from what you want the viewer to see.

I think the music has a really nice pace to it and fits in really well with when you have your images pop up. Really good timing.

I think the text might need to stay up longer and on that one I mentioned earlier, I miss the type. I looked over it again and realized that it was because I was looking too much at the images because they are so interesting. With the font, I think it might need to be more bubbly, even inky. I want to see the wet ink expose the letters or something.

I really like that you used analog and used some of the ideas from your type animations (like the brayer rolling). I think that brings it into your whole project better. The last frame with the text could stay on longer and you have about 4 extra seconds to work with.

b said...

A Bravo Original series, disappears too fast, have it stay up there for about a second longer, as well as the legibility is hard to see on top of the woodcut print. Id also increase the following text time length by a second too.

Great music choice.

around the 20 second mark, id like to see another pan of those woodcut prints, It would add more to the narrative.

Richardson said...

Wow. Very nice Abby. This looks very refined and professional. I feel like I could actually see this on T.V. or as an opener to a DVD. Like the others said I thin the choice of music is great and well timed and edited. It also works well with the abstract imagery you have going on at times. The only thing I might suggest is having the "Showcasing Printmakers..." text appear over the image, rather than over the live action of the brayer. The action in the background is just too much for me to try and read and see what is going on. If that makes any sense?