Monday, January 24, 2011

PROprac: Career Path

There are many things that I want to do over the course of my life, so it's quite difficult for me to say in three years I want to work here or here, or live here or there. The following outline is one generalized path that I hope to take, with basic time line goals that will probably change as time goes on.

One Year From Now:
In one year I want to be employed somewhere where I make enough money to keep on top of my bills, support myself, and start paying back student loans.

In order to do this I must:
-I could just keep the job I have, which would require hard work, putting forth the effort to keep the job, continue making myself indispensable in the firm 
-Network with the people I know now in order to get my foot in the door somewhere that I can be employed.
-keep in contact with my design friends (school friends and professional friends)
-Have a portfolio worth hiring for
-Continue working to build my experience levels.

Three Years From Now:
I want to have a job that I really enjoy at a place that produces work that inspires me (Sagmeister Inc, Whiskey Design, Liquid 9, Monsters Are Good...)

In order to do this I must:
-Keep building my portfolio
-Apply to all the jobs I'm highly interested in, don't take "no" for an answer.
-continue to have a job where I can keep adding to my portfolio and hone my design skills
-network like a madman
-surround myself with things that make me happy (so I survive in a mindset that allows for me to be my most productive/creative self possible)
-possibly have a savings account I can relocate with if necessary (Sagmeister Inc would require relocating to NY for example...)

Five Years From Now/Eventually:
 I would like to move back to Maryland or move to Ireland and get a design job in one of those locations.

In order to do this I must:
-research firms I'm interested in in those areas
-secure a job
-secure housing/living
-secure transportation
-have a savings account I can use to relocate with
-network with friends I met in MD a while ago through the MICA pre-college program
-visit firms when I travel to Ireland this summer then keep in touch and try to make friends that I can network with in the future.
-accept opportunities that could further myself as a designer/person worth hiring before then

No comments: