Thursday, March 26, 2009

Viscom: Final Icons with Color


This is the last icon set that I showed in class in One, Two, and Three color. We decided that the circle seemed to crowd some of the icons and I have since then enlarged the circles, freeing up some of the objects.

This set includes the larger circles. In the two color set, I introduced a new (solid) shape. The inside of the rabbits ear went from an outline to a filled shape for example. We thought the hat looked like it needed a new shape all together and when I tried to fill the "inside" of the hat, it only looked strange. I'm quite happy with how it ended up looking- there is not a new shape, simply a filled color shape as in the handcuffs so I think there is still a level of consistency. We also thought the extreme left placement of the blade icon inside the circle looked strange so I tried to center it a bit more without it becoming too right-hand heavy. It may still need a bit more but I would like some feedback.

The color pallet that I ended up using came from an image of my book that was the visual research for Handcuffs. I felt these colors represented a serious, professional quality and also hinted at the ancient/aged qualities of the history of magic. It's not all David Copperfield. It's not even Houdini. My research has now gone back as far as the Salem Witch Trials (which has it's relevance, though magic does go back as far as ancient Egyptians and further). 

No comments: