Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Artist Statement

Artist Statement

I was asked to write a statement about my style as an artist, and I cannot tell you how much trouble that simple problem has given me. My design work is where my professional "artistic" energies go, but I do not necessarily consider that my "art." I like building things out of paper: little towns, stop-motion animations, layered cards and images. I enjoy sketching creatures that come to me from dreams. I like smooth lines and subtle curves when it comes to ceramics, and I like the remnant linoleum lines in my prints when I don't cut deep enough to vanquish them from the paper I print on. I believe in the concept of "art for art's sake" and will fight tooth and nail with anyone that tries to disprove its existence. I tend to like muted colors, large type, irregular forms, and narrative styles whenever possible. I like to tell stories, so the "narrative styles" bit is something I should probably emphasize more in this little summation of who I am as an artist. I like a linear progression of elements with a crescendo finale. The "cooler" I can make something look the happier I am. Is that a good start? I'd say so.

No comments: