Thursday, February 10, 2011

PROprac: Handbook Response

Shock #1 came when I started flipping through the book and realized it was ALL text and that it was all important and pertinent information. Working at Tonic, I never realized how much actually goes in to billing people and all of that jazz. I can't believe that I should charge an average of $300-1,000 for designing an ad that is just a Quarter of  a page in a magazine. The additional fees for charging someone as well were kind of interesting to look at. I was surprised by how extensive that section really was (rush fees, unlimited use for the client...). I also was not expecting a textile design section. It never would have crossed my mind. It's weird that there are different prices  for bath towels and wash cloths.

The whole book seems really helpful as a resource for a case-by-case basis. Knowing that there is one compiled collection of this knowledge is awesome, especially if I ever do anything freelance. Luckily for me I'm perfectly content working for firms, so they should have most of this figured out for me so I never need to deal with it. Just flipping through the book was almost enough to give me a headache haha.

This combined with the "should you work for free" mind map can really help keep designers on track.

No comments: