Wednesday, March 3, 2010

DESN305: ACME identity, round one

I had two directions I could choose to go for my ACME ice cream topping package design, the first idea was to go classic with abstract symbols, script font and muted "classy" colors. This would have appealed to the rich mom's-mom and could have limited my my audience to haughty women trying to show off their wealth. (None of the images shown are for this idea) 

The second direction I had in mind is the way I'm going to go. It's fun and playful with big punchy solid (possibly silk-screened) patches of color. This will appeal to a younger audience and the kid that is still in most adults. This is for mom's that know how to have fun and still like to indulge themselves. Spoil the moms for once instead of the moms doing all the spoiling (of their own children). The sketch below was the original direction. Kidwell pointed out that the colors/rendering style are vaguely Frykholm-poster-esque. Below the sketch are a few quick illustrator directions with two main color schemes in mind, sprinkled lips or not, green vs blue, pink vs purple, white vs yellow... 


5 comments:

Tom Morse-Brown said...

2 down on the left, cause it's nice and bright
2 down on the right cause it's nice and bright and i like the white type better than the gooey yellow
or 3 down on the left, cause it's bright. I'm not too keen on the green overall, it seems a bit too gunge like.

jmeurer said...

i like the blue as well....and the white type...I also enjoyed the sprinkles as another added context

Luke Babb said...

I would have to go with the top 3 blue ones; however, I can't say that the color palette is too appealing, I get scary freaky movie out of it more so than ice cream. I do like the idea of using the mouth considering the sense of taste. Maybe try to simplify it even more, and work in the word 'acme' as a tight crop within the mouth. I think a simple form with simple 1, maybe 2, color palette would resolve that connotation I have with it. Hope this helps!

Kidwell at 63-11 said...

i agree with the scary movie comment. check the class blog for scary poster.

wth happened to my other comment?

AGallagher said...

I haven't seen another comment Kidwell.