Friday, February 19, 2010

type

Sooo..... Round three.five. Uh.... Well... Playing with type. Positive and negative space interaction. I started by cutting out letters and taping them to my computer screen to play with the light source as the negative space. I "projected" light from my computer screen through the negative spaces onto both flat, and crumpled paper. Different distances from the screens led to clearer or blurrier type. I also tried projecting a movie as the light source to see what interactions I could get between type and image as the light source. From there I tried to do the same things but with the 8.5x11 with the cutout letter forms, thus the light acts as the positive space. The relationship between type and image was much more interested when projected through as the positive letterforms because darker colors didn't show up as well and ended up blocking out some of the actual letterforms. I also played with clear and blurred focus with my actual camera as well as camera angle in relationship to the screen. I believe this set of directions is much more interesting than the flashlight-sheet (previous) versions. The direct layering allows for more control, more play, and more dramatic results.

No comments: