Thursday, February 4, 2010

Typo 4: mini group meetings/research

Tammy summed her project ideas up as "layering and projecting." She's thinking about projecting feelings/words onto the sources of things the content of the type is about. Projecting is a good way to meld two ideas into a whole or is a good way to take two things that aren't generally physically touching and forcing them to touch. I'm going to be projecting, but in a different manner and without really considering the content of the type too, too much. I won't be projecting a poem about roadkill onto roadkill so much as writing a short dark story or phrase and projecting it in what can be an erie medium. 

Rick summed his project up as either using tangible objects to create type or using different surfaces in relationship to type. We both will be using the concept of "variables" to create different outcomes from one possibly simplistic idea. Rick also gave me the idea that I don't necessarily have to shine light on the sheet but could possibly project a movie and use that as the "light source" of my shadow puppet type. 

http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/05/04/recycling-typography/  is a site I stumbled upon that uses typography in the environment. Where as this concept does not directly relate to my work, they also utilize shadow and light, and create a certain feel in the scenes they place their type in. 

Another site I found is http://abduzeedo.com/incredible-light-graffiti-typography-julien-breton which uses light and shadow to make up the letterform itself (stroke width and such). 

No comments: