Thursday, February 25, 2010

Typo 4: about this EXperIMENTal typoGRAPHY

In looking into designers that use shadow-puppet text, I realized that there is not a lot to base my project off of. People project text, but that is generally about where it's projected, the context, the thing it's projected on to.... and not about how the type can be altered by what it's projecting THROUGH. There are many shadow puppeteers out there, but they all focus on telling a story with images rather than with text. I know I'm writing this kind of late in the game and I know now that my text has taken on a slightly different form than what it originally started off as, but I still feel there is not much being done with type as a photographed entity that is projected or manipulated based on the projected-upon screen. I believe this has become important to me because I've realized just how amazing physical analogue type can be. Each image that I have taken cannot be duplicated by hand or by computer in reality. Each composition I created has a life and a vitality of it's own. Sure you can blur text in photoshop but you would lose the depth and the visually tasty texture that I feel I've managed to capture. This is not a process done regularly. There is no specific avenue of the world (design, advertising, print, book layouts...) that this typographic concept may be used/exsits for. This isn't a product design or an identity except through itself. I've fallen in love with this sort of type because it exists on its own for its own sake. Epp would be happy to hear me make a post modern reference to art-for-arts-sake I'm sure, but it's what I believe in and I feel that this type is the perfect representation of that ideal. 

No comments: