Friday, October 30, 2009

VisLang: POSTCARD 2


"There is an obvious disconnect between the person and the card. I'm not sure if the card is being swiped but it appears as if it is being stolen or taken away. Personally it seems to be representing bad decisions and over spending since the money isn't tangible. People are more inclined to keep spending and keep spending without any real sense of responsibility. Eventually the person ruins their credit or drains their bank account and ends up with a lot of over draft fees." 
-Mike




Mike understood my intentions exactly as I wanted them to be taken. He commented upon the fast action as either representing theft of the card (my intent) or as fast/irrational spending (my under-current intent). There apparently was very little to no noise from my original piece. 


His piece to me says "consumerism." in context to his response, it is a negative thing that will land you in poverty, debt, and an eventual self-destruction. Even the model he chose to use- pale female, nice dress, upper-middle class, young-ish - speaks to our culture. What is acceptable? What is the "american ideal"? How will little girls be raised? We as a nation are sinking into our consumer-driven lives. Women are especially bad. Women tend to live the stereotype of poor money handlers. Charge first ask questions later. 

No comments: